Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Early Fall

It's been unseasonably cool the last few days and I took advantage last night to get some much needed training in.

The wind was blowing pretty good out of the north, so I went south knowing that I should have gone north.

My intention was to ride easy through the halfway point and then turn the screws until I didn't have anything left when I got back home.

Everything worked out perfectly, with the wind joining in and punishing my efforts.

On the last leg, 2 miles from home, we (my son was riding with me) saw a carrot riding about 1/4 mile in front of us.

This part of the ride can be excruciating starting with a long false flat, kicking up, and then up hard. As we approached the rider I was suffering intently trying to measure my pace to be able to latch on if the rider decided to accelerate. I paused near the back of his wheel and then pulled up along side to chat and said something like "This is a nasty climb". Imagine my surprise, he said something unintelligible, and I noticed him wheezing and sucking air trying to find more oxygen (Serious Oxygen debt). Of course I didn't let on that I was pretty much trashed at that point too pulled ahead to ratchet up the pace some more.

We were able to hold the lead and finish hard.

A good workout on a gorgeous evening.

Ride details

Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s) 1:04:49 3:11 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 1:03:41 3:07 pace
Distance (mi ) 20.33
Moving Speed (mph) 19.2 avg. 40.6 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +1,769 / -1,781

Temperature (°F) 78.8°F avg. 78.8°F high
Wind Speed ( mph) SSW 10.3 avg. SSW 11.5 max.

No comments: