Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Apison Time Trial

With the season winding down, I decided it was time to do a fitness evaluation in the form of a short 3 mile mostly uphill time trial out of Apison.

This time my son served as the rabbit, setting out 30 seconds in front of me. Having done this a couple times in the past, I decided to try to save some reserves for the steepest course section and the end section which is a long false flat.

In the past I have gone very hard from the start and faded significantly towards the end. This time I went hard but not all out, sprinted up the middle hill, conserved on the backside and hammered the finish.

The result? 11 seconds off the pace of my son, and a second best personal performance to date. Even at 200+ I was able to maintain contact to my 135 lb climber of a son! Just trying to keep him honest...

The rest of the ride was supposed to be total recovery and easy spin, which worked out pretty well until we were coming into Apison and noticed a guy up the road on a time trial machine. How could I tell it was a guy? (he was not wearing a shirt).

On the run in to Collegedale we passed him, and then made it stick all the way home.

Instead of one very hard 8 minute interval, we had two.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Time Trial Time = 0:8:55 for 3 miles = 20.19 mph

No comments: