Monday, March 24, 2008

Grimace or Grin 03-18

Well it was actually some of the former and a lot of the latter.

C & I met T.W. at the Village Market to go for 20. The weather was very windy, blowing hard from the south. The course was briefly discussed and it was decided that we would head south from Apison down Bill Jones, Left on London, continue on Keith and head back on Keith-Salem.

Not wanting to show my weakness I opted to let T lead out, and he did a marvelous job. Straight away I began wondering if I could maintain his pace setting, but the wind did it's job of tempering his speed and I just sat on appreciating the work being done for me. As we crested the rise past mt Vernon we looked ahead and saw 2 riders up and decided to give chase. For 3 miles we chased and closed the gap that had been almost a mile in length. Turning the corner onto Keith-Salem rd we realized an average speed of 18.5 mph, that was the grimace.

The grin began after we turned the corner and began to head North. The wind was blowing between 20 and 25mph with gusts going to 30. Already tired from the effort we cruised along recovering until we ascended the short steep climb on Salem Valey road just past the right hand turn from Keith-Salem.

Then the real fun began. For the next 6.7 miles we averaged over 26 MPH! completing the ride with my first +20 mph average for the year.

Thanks T & C for all the hard work, it was a fun ride.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/5195237

No comments: