Monday, March 17, 2008

Finally - Back to riding

Well, that's not exactly true because I have gotten a few rides in, but my work life is beginning to slow down a bit and this gives me more disposable time.

I spent 2 hours in the morning running around like a fool, chasing a Frisbee (The Ultimate Game), spent 3 hours chasing daffodils (didn't see many), and returned home just in time to get a 2 hour ride in.

I heard about the east ridge group ride, but I couldn't start with them so I tried to intersect their course. This is a difficult thing to do if you don't know where they were riding. So I cast about in different directions, getting about 17-18 miles in before I actually saw any of the riders.

I stopped back by the start area about 1 1/2 hours after they had left, the fast ones had returned, and talked to one of the riders. They had gone completely in a different direction than I had assumed.

Leaving that area I rode against the stream (trickle) of returning riders that had been dropped and left to fend for themselves, a number of which looked fairly tired.

From there I went to find one of my friends who is training for a Marathon on an 18 mile run. I pulled in to a church to get my water bottle filled up and saw him pass by. I spent about 15 minutes waiting for my wife who was in choir practice and then headed for home. I was sure I would see my runner buddy, and even went about 3 miles out of my way, but I never caught up to him. This might be an indication of my fitness level (can't even catch up with a guy who is running 18 miles).

Anyway, it was good to get out and ride 32 miles, the weather was good, the wind provided some good added resistance, in all a Great Ride!

No comments: