Monday, December 10, 2007

Sunday Group ride - 12-09-2007

Group ride?, there was no group.

I woke to the sound of rain at 6:00am and went down to check the radar. The rain appeared to be moving off rapidly so I decided to catch a few zzz's and see what it looked like at 7:00am. Woke up at 7:10, realized I did not have enough time to get ready and eat, so I got ready to ride- grabbed 2 powerbars (Recipe) - woke my son and told him about the roads being wet - jumped on my bike and went to meet the 7:30 group. The 7:30 group was me, so I rode 9 miles to get ready for the 8:00 group. When I arrived at the 8:00 meeting point there was one other rider (my son) waiting for the group depart.

We gave everyone a fair chance to show up, decided there wouldn't be anyone else, and took off. It was a gorgeous December day with temperatures approaching 65°F during the ride. We counted 3 broadwing hawks, a pileated, and a white crown sparrow. One of the hawks actually disgorged some of it's meal when we stopped to watch him. I'm not sure if he was making a commentary or not.

Traffic and winds were low, and we travelled a new road, something that's hard to do after riding in the same area for many years. Pacing for once wasn't a problem, it was a nice slow ride at a conversational pace, although we did some animated sprints to liven things up.

While returning home, we happened upon a cyclist that had flatted. We offered to fix his flat, not wanting his ride to end on such a nice day, but he refused and said his support crew/vehicle was scheduled to arrive any minute.

Did I mention that it was a great ride?

This was the ride plan

This was the Actual Ride



3 comments:

sBlogger said...

Even more gorgeous @ 14:00 and 75°F :)

Paul said...

Most definately, however I could not ride at that time.

Derica said...

Well said.